Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A men kills his family and than himself

When I signed out of my e-mail this article popped out on my screen. As I read it, I couldn't believe it, and couldn't stop thinking about it all day. How can people do this over a job loss or a problem that is just temporary. Taking the lives of his own children and wife.
People are loosing jobs, but it shouldn't mean suicide is the answer. The article said this:

"A Wilmington man fired last week from his job killed his wife, three daughters and two sons before committing suicide in their home Tuesday morning, police said. In a two-page typed suicide letter faxed to a television station, Ervin Antonio Lupoe, 40, said he and his wife decided to kill themselves and their children after both lost their jobs at Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in West Los Angeles. The letter, as it was written, said: "So after a horrendous ordeal my wife felt it better to end our lives and why leave our children in someone's else's hands, in addition it seems Kiaser Permanente want's us to kill ourselves and take our family with us."
Lupoe placed calls to the news desk at KABC Channel 7 and the LAPD's 911 center just before shooting himself at the family's home in the 1000 block of North McFarland Avenue, police said. All of the victims were shot in the head, as was Lupoe, police said. Some of the family members were shot more than once.
an X-ray technician at the medical center, wrote in his letter that a supervisor rebuffed him when he tried to talk about his job status, suggesting, "You should have blown your brains out."
His wife, Ana Elizabeth Lupoe, also was dismissed sometime earlier from her job as a mammography technician at Kaiser.

At the end of his letter, Lupoe wrote by hand, "Oh Lord my God is there no hope for a widow's son!" Among Mormons and Masons, that statement is considered an urgent call for help.

It was unclear whether Lupoe killed his family before or after the 8:25 a.m. phone calls, but neighbors reported hearing shots at about 5:30p.m. Monday and 7:30a.m. Tuesday.

Coroner's official Ed Winter said the children might have been shot as early as 4 to 5 p.m. Monday.

In one conversation with KABC, Lupoe said he was going to kill his family. But in a call to the LAPD's 911 center, he said he had come home and found his family murdered, Los Angeles Deputy Police Chief Kenneth Garner said.

Officers arriving at the two-story house minutes later detected the scent of freshly fired gunshots and discovered a revolver beside Lupoe's body. His 8-year-old daughter, Brittney, and twin 5-year-old daughters, Jaszmin and Jassely, were dead next to him.

Lupoe's wife and the couple's identical twin 2-year-old boys, Benjamin and Christian, lay dead in a rear upstairs bedroom.

Garner said he had never seen anything like the crime scene in his more than 20 years on the police force.

"It was a grisly scene," he said. "It's horrific."

Jasmin Gomez, 18, who lives in a trailer across the street from the Lupoe home, said blood seeped from the upstairs rooms through the walls of a recent addition and spilled out the family's garage.

Neighbors watched the grisly scene as coroner's officials carried the seven bodies out of the house on gurneys covered in blue sheets.

Inside the home, police found the same faxed suicide letter detailing Lupoe's dispute with his former employer.

"It looks like there may have been grounds for the termination," said Los Angeles police Capt. William Hayes said. "It wasn't that he was laid off as a result of the economic situation."

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa responded to the scene in midafternoon, emphasizing at a news conference that city services are available to residents in desperate situations.

Neighbors, school officials and an attorney who represented the Lupoes in a lawsuit stemming from a traffic accident said they had no clue what was looming Tuesday.

"This was just shocking, very shocking," Long Beach attorney Bob Pierce said. "I met this couple a month ago. I sat down with them and talked with them for two hours and there was not a hint of a problem. I'm stunned."

Pierce said Lupoe left him a message Monday that he received Tuesday morning. Lupoe did not seem upset in his message, but Pierce said the information he relayed "absolutely, positively bears on this story."

He would not elaborate.

The couple's three oldest children were enrolled at Crescent Heights Boulevard Elementary School, several blocks from the Westside medical facility where their parents worked.

Los Angeles Unified School District officials and police said the Lupoes pulled their children from school Jan. 15 and said they were moving to Kansas."

No comments:

Post a Comment